Madison County Recycling Guidelines

Madison County has a two-bin recycling system where paper products are placed into one bin and containers (glass, metal, plastic) are placed into another. All items should be empty, clean and dry. Keep recyclables loose in the bins; do NOT place recyclables in plastic bags.

Paper Recyclables:

  • Cereal Boxes
  • Dry Food Boxes
  • Gift & Tissue Boxes
  • Paper Towel/Toilet Paper Rolls
  • Corrugated Cardboard Boxes (Flattened)
  • Pizza Boxes (Clean)
  • Shredded Paper (Placed in Paper Bags)
  • Newspaper & Inserts
  • Junk Mail &  Envelopes
  • Magazines & Catalogs
  • Telephone Books
  • Non-Metallic Greeting Cards & Wrapping Paper
  • Paper Bags

Not Accepted: Frozen Food, Refrigerated or Microwaveable Product Boxes; Soda & Beer Cartons/Carriers; Wax-Coated Corrugated Boxes; Milk or Juice Cartons; Coffee Cups; Paper Egg Cartons; Tissues/Paper Towels/Tissue Paper; Soiled/Greasy Paper; Carbon or Wax Paper; Folders or Spiral Books with Metal Parts; Anything Containing Foil, Metal or Plastic; Clothing or Other Textiles

Container Recyclables (Glass, Metal, Plastic):

  • Plastic Bottles & Jugs with a neck
  • Plastic Milk & Water Jugs
  • Soap & Detergent Bottles
  • Water Bottles
  • Plastic Deposit Bottles
  • Plastic Yogurt & Dairy Tubs
  • Aluminum Cans
  • Metal Containers
  • Aluminum Foil, Plates & Trays
  • Empty Aerosol Cans
  • Glass Food & Beverage Containers
  • Glass Deposit Bottles

Not Accepted:Plastic “Clamshell” Containers such as Berry Containers; Plastic Take-Out Containers; Black Plastic; Plastic Bags and other Films; Plastic Cups, Straws & Lids; Plastic Toys, Buckets and Pails; Bottles that Contained Hazardous Products; Styrofoam Products; Window or Auto Glass; Light Bulbs; Ceramics, Crystals, and Mirrors; Pots, Pans or other Scrap Metal

Residential Station Services

Madison County residents may utilize the main Buyea Road transfer station, as well as the Cazenovia, Hamilton and Sullivan transfer stations for the following items. Commercial entities must use the Landfill facilities.

  • Automotive & Household Batteries
  • Ink Cartridges
  • Motor Oil
  • Yard Waste, see size restrictions
  • Scrap Metal (Stove, dryer, pots & pans)
  • Textiles
  • Antifreeze (punch card required)
  • Cooking Oil
  • Empty Propane Tanks (punch card required, Buyea Road Only)
  • Refrigeration Units (punch card required, Buyea Road Only)

Electronic Waste:

Madison County residents can bring accepted electronics to LOJO Technology in Oneida for free. No appointment necessary. Business waste will not be accepted. There is a limit of 10 televisions/computers per household/year. To see a list of accepted electronics, visit:

Household Hazardous Waste:

Residents can bring up to 20 liquid gallons and 30 solid pounds of accepted household hazardous waste to Environmental Products & Services in Syracuse. An appointment is required. For more information and to schedule an appointment, visit:

Questions? Call the Madison County Department of Solid Waste at 315-361-8408 or visit